Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Acid rain is a type of acid deposition, which can appear in many forms. Wet deposition is rain, sleet, snow, or fog that has become more acidic than normal. Dry deposition is another form of acid deposition, and this is when gases and dust particles become acidic. It is caused by pollution and carbon dioxide in the air. It causes harm to buildings, soil, human beings, and nature.
- Nuclear Power
In 2007, 14% of the world's electricity came from nuclear power.
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Sunday, January 22, 2017
The Effect of Gravity on Speed
Gravity provides a constant acceleration (force) on an object. The effect is changed by using ramps at different angles. In this lab, you will find the optimal angle to maximize acceleration on a ball bearing so it travels the farthest and/or the fastest. Friction is the opposing force created by the surface interactions. Whenever something rolls due to a force, friction will oppose this force and slow it down.
Timer Ramp Ball Bearing
Graph Paper (2) Ruler
1. Put the ramp against the seat of a chair. Place the ramp and chair so that the ramp points towards the hallway. Have your teammate on the other end of the hallway.
2. Place the ball bearing at the top of the ramp.
3. Lift the ramp 20 cm and release the ball bearing
4. Time how long it takes to travel 5 meters.
5. See how far it will go..
6. Repeat the experiment three times for each height then do 40 cm, 60 cm, and 80 cm.
Time to travel 5 meters
The ball released from higher ramp travel faster and further. The ball release at height 80 cm went faster than and further than 20 cm.
1. Describe how the ball rolls off the ramp at each height—discuss the effect of bouncing or other factors ?
Answer : The ball roll off at higher position went faster and longer distance than lower height. The result of the height of the ramp cause more acceleration of the ball
2. Discuss what is the fastest speed reached and any factors that could improve this ?
Answer : The ball with fastest speed was the one at highest angle. To improve speed, we need to change the angle higher.
3. Does the ball travel in a straight line, why or why not ?
Answer : Yes, because of the surface was smooth and does not cause friction between ball and ramp